Monday, September 29, 2008

Snow Birds

I know it's hard to see, but look closely at the picture below and you will see geese, headed south for the winter.



That familiar sound of a squawking clan flying over head only means one thing....winter is coming.

And, the geese aren't the only ones headed south for the winter. Patients are packing up right and left at the clinic. They're boarding up their camps, changing the oil in their RVs, gathering all their prescriptions and they're outta here. They're talking about playing competitive shuffleboard with their neighbors and shining up their golf clubs for the Carolina par 5s. I'm jealous. Not about playing shuffleboard (totally boring) and not even about golf (semi-boring)...I'm jealous of a winter of warm weather. I'm jealous of their freedom to come and go. I'm even jealous of their social lives, believe it or not. Sad, I know.

Over the weekend, we went to a chicken pie supper at the Newark school to benefit the fire department and several of my patients were there. One come up to me and gave me a huge hug, as she normally does and proceeded to tell me how her and her husband are so busy packing they can't possibly fit in any golf before they leave for Florida. They are on a strict deadline for warmer climate.

Our house is surrounded by camps and all our neighbors are heading out. Only the hearty ones stay until after Christmas time.

Even, my aunt, who is only in her 40s is talking about buying a place in the Carolina's and getting out of here for the winter.

All the snow birds are leaving. Is it more apparent this year because I'm surrounded by a geriatric population most of the time? I don't know...but one thing is for sure...I'm green with envy but stuck with the white stuff.

3 comments:

stace41971 said...

There are good and bad's about every place..I would miss white Christmas's. I would also miss that eerie quiet that happens durning a snowstorm...where you can go outside and hear the snow flakes hitting the ground. Florida and NC are OK...but their winter's get cold too...ok..maybe not -40 cold...but cold enough..and in florida the cold is a damp cold that eats right into your bones...yuck.
And if you need to get out, I have every monday and wednesday evening alone here...you'remore than welcome to come down off the hill, maybe we could can something,or sew something...or just sit and enjoy the quiet.

Anonymous said...

you are soooo surrounded by geriatric population--but not for long-your geriatric desk mate!

Holly said...

LOL Vicki! You are too cute! I'm really going to miss you!
And Stace! That sounds really nice-I think I just might take you up on one of those nights this winter!