Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sandbox

This past weekend, Eric had the great idea to build Aiden a sandbox. Eric planned out all the materials, where it would be located in our yard and how we would do it. He picked up all the materials and we were set to go.

Our friend, Nate, came over to help and that turned out to be such a huge relief! He understands how to build things much better than I do, so when Eric threw out directions he knew exactly what to do while I would say "What? Can you say that again?"

It took us about a day to build. Aiden could hardly wait to get in there and start playing!

First, we shoveled out the parameter to fit the timber. Eric calls them ties.



Next was a lot of measuring and cutting and nailing the two levels of timbers together with pole barn spikes. Aiden nailed away with his own little hammer and did quite a good job! Go Aiden!



Then, we skimmed off the sod in preparation for filter fabric. That will prevent grass from growing up through the sand, but also allow any water to drain into the Earth.

Eric nailed the filter fabric in and next we were ready to fill it up. Lowe's had a great deal on play sand and this stuff is really nice! It's like walking on the perfect beach sand! We used 45 bags at 50 pounds each. Lots of sand!



Next, time to play!
Aiden has spent a great deal of time playing in the sand. Already, the cost and time it took to build it has completely paid off. He's made race tracks and buried cars and animals. He's dug holes and build hills and castles. It's really great! And, it's nice that he can be outside on his own and I know exactly what he's up to, I just peek out the window every few minutes.



When he's done playing, we have a tarp that gets tied on with bunjee cords to keep the sand and toys away from wind and water.
It was a great idea and lots of fun!

2 comments:

Tara Whalen said...

Hello???? Holly are you there???

Anonymous said...

I love a sandbox for kids! I know that you kids enjoyed one when you were young. Many trucks of construction. Mom