Saturday, April 12, 2008

Graded School Waver

To fully understand this story, I have to start from the beginning.

I went to graded school in a town about an hour from where I live now. It was a fairly small school. We had about 30 kids in our class and everyone was pretty much friends. I would say, I regularly hung out with about 90% of my class.

At the end of 8th grade, my family moved. We moved to a town about 15minutes away. It was a much bigger town. The high school was much bigger and I went on through life leaving my graded school friends behind. In fact, once I made friends in this new school, I hardly every talked to anyone from graded school again.

And again, after high school, I went on to college, got married and now have Aiden. It's been over 10years since graded school and some of those people I haven't talked to since.

In November of 2006, I got a new car. Within a week of this new car, everyday on the way to work, someone was waving to me. I had no idea who it was and I figured that they were just messing up vehicles, mistaking me for someone else. I didn't wave back for about 2 weeks and still this guy kept waving at me. I saw him every day.

Eventually, I started waving at him too. I figured, what the heck, I have no idea who this is but I'm not going to be stuck up...I'll wave back. For all I knew, it was a patient that we see at the office. Then, I began seeing this person on the way home too. And, again, he was waving at me when we passed. Now, I was beginning to get creeped out.

I memorized the guys license plate and contacted a friend who got me a name. His name is Rob and we went to graded school together. Actually, we hung out quite a bit back then. I couldn't believe it. First of all, how did he recognize me after over 10years through a car window when we're passing each other at 50mph? But, at least now I knew who it was and I was no longer creeped out. After all, I knew exactly were this guy grew up, who is family members were and so forth. I wasn't worried.

So, we continued waving to each other each morning and on the way home from work and this is still going on, every day.

On Friday, when I got out of work, I pulled in to the gas station to fill up and guess who pulled in at the same time from the other direction....Rob. Talk about weird. We said hello and talked about how long it had been since we had talked to each other. I told him that it took me a long time to figure out who he was and he was surprised (I don't know why). He works in the town that I live and lives in same town we went to school in. So, naturally, we pass each other everyday. He is not married and doesn't have kids. I told him about my family and my career and he was happy to hear it. How interesting it was to finally speak to this person that I have waved to every day for over a year, remembering that we haven't spoke in over 10years!

So, Monday morning I will pass him again on the way to work and wave, just like every other day. And this time I'll actually know where he's going and a little more about who he is now. Kinda neat!

1 comment:

Dave said...

When we first moved to Vermont the car wave was something funny for us to get used to. We were not used to waving to people in their cars...because we were not used to spotting people we knew as we drove around. There were several times that friends would approach me in school, angry because they saw me in my mom's car and waved, and I didn't wave back. Then I learned to look around at the other cars and be sure to wave if I saw someone I knew. Small towns are so funny!

Now I walk my streets and rarely look at anyone...especially in the eye. I never expect to see anyone I would know...because there are so many people. When I do see someone I know both of us get so excited for bumping into each other and talk about weird it is...even though we only live a few blocks from each. Big towns are so funny too.