Thursday, June 19, 2008

Food

I've been trying to lose a little weight lately. Not a bunch-just about 10lbs. (Bikini season is coming up) My method-eat less, move more. For a couple weeks, I was doing great. I lost 6 lbs. Then, I fell of the band wagon and gained a couple back. One thing you've got to know about me is: once I start eating, I can't stop. I'm like a glutton for food. It's almost like I don't have a full-receptor...or something. Sometimes, I fill my plate with food for dinner and I think, 'wow, my eyes are bigger than my stomach', but I'll end up eating it all, and then wanting seconds.


So, in an effort to eat less, I end up thinking about food all the time. I think
about what I should eat for every meal, I plan each meal ahead of time. I think about how many calories each meal contains. I think about what kind of foods I'm feeding myself 'have I eaten enough grains today? What about dairy and fruit?' My favorite channel is Food Network. Watching each chef create these mouth watering dishes is highly entertaining for me!
Most of the time, dinners for the week are planned out on Sunday afternoon. This is how I compile my grocery shopping list. I've been doing this for quite a while now. It was taught to me by a woman at work. It's been a valuable lesson. It saves quite a bit of money as long as I stick to my list, and it saves a lot of time. I enjoy sitting down with a few recipe books and choosing which new recipes I'll try this week and which old standbys I could whip together.

Of course
, since I've been trying to eat less and stuff fewer calories into my big mouth, I'm trying to choose recipes that are more calorie friendly. I thought I would share a couple with you:

Orzo with Artichoke and Tomato Sauce:
1 jar of artichoke hearts (6oz)
2 medium garlic cloves
1 can of whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 cup orzo
grated Parmesan cheese.

Cook the pasta. Meanwhile, drain artichokes, reserving the liquid. slice artichokes. heat extra liquid in a skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and saute until soft. Add tomatoes, artichokes and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Place orzo on a serving platter. Top with sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan.

Sounds pretty good right. I make this all the time lately. It's super easy. And only 340 calories per serving. Not too bad.

Here's another good one.
Stuffed Eggplant

2 eggplants
1 medium onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup currants
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 macaroni
2 cups monterey jack cheese.

Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. remove pulp and coarsely chop. In a skillet saute onion in oil until soft, add eggplant, cook for 3 minutes. preheat oven to 375. Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, currants, salt and oregano. simmer for 5 minutes. stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. spoon into eggplant and bake for 20minutes.

Surprisingly easy and so yummy!

Yup, I've got food on the brain. All of this eating less is making me hungry!

1 comment:

Tara Whalen said...

Hum... I wonder who that might have been.... =)

I also have been trying to work on my weight, without any luck. I lost a few pounds before beach week, but I also knew that beach week is loaded with fried foods and ice cream. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

It's nice to know that I am not the only one that has self control issues when it comes to food! Aye!