It was time for Aiden to go to bed and the thunder was still rolling through. We went through our normal bed time routine but on this night Aiden was too scared to settle down. I laid down with him for a while, trying to calm him down. Every time Aiden would close his eyes and begin to doze another grumble of thunder would quickly wake him up and he would begin to whimper.
"Aiden, thunder is only the beat of Nature's music. Listen to the sounds around you. Try dancing to the beat of the music. Thunder is not going to hurt us. Just like the music we play in the car, it's nice to listen to".
"Why is Nature making music?"
Umm.."Well, because all the animals and plants want to hear music. They like it, it sounds nice. It helps them go to sleep."
"But it's going to hurt me"
"Oh no. Thunder will not hurt us. It's music, just like in the car".
Rationalizing with a 3 year old is not easy. I was trying to simplify my explanation. I was trying to make thunder less scary, more fun. I was trying to relate thunder with his World and with what he finds entertaining. It wasn't easy. I didn't want to go with the old 'Santa Claus is bowling and he just got a strike'. That's what I used to hear as a kid and even then I thought that was a silly explanation. It wasn't realistic... How do you be realistic but reassuring. How do you explain a complicated World to an uncomplicated mind? That was my best shot at the time.
It still took Aiden some time to quiet down, not be scared and fall asleep. He ended up sleeping in our bed for part of the night. He was still scared when the loud thunders came rolling in....but I do think he was a little more comfortable after our conversation. We'll see if it sticks for the next time...
2 comments:
Im right there with you. T has a fear/fascination thing going on with Thunder storms...he's terrified, but wants to know EVERYTHING about weather..especially thunder and lighting. which is good because knowledge helps him to reason with himself and his fears. At 3 its hard..they just know they're scared. Is he like that with other loud/sudden noises?
Oh, I love this! What an incredible way to explain it all to him! Nice job!
Post a Comment