Friday, July 25, 2008

Bald Mountain

We took on the challenge of another hike today. This time, Eric came too.

Bald Mountain is actually a hike that neither Eric or I have done before so that's pretty neat. Round trip it's 4.2 miles and the trail climbs about 1500 feet. It's considered a moderate climb.


We brought the Kelty pack and I'm really glad we did. I think Aiden is still pooped from Pisgah! Aiden probably walked about a 1/4-1/2 of the way-he did most of his climbing on the leg just before the top. I can't carry him in the pack anymore, so I carried the supplies, water and snacks while Eric did the hard job of carrying Aiden. Climbing with a moving 3o pound weight on your back up steep and narrow trails is no job I'm willing to take on. Eric is incredibly fit. He spends his days building houses and such so his muscles are tone and tight and super strong. Go Eric!

Last night it rained hard. In fact, in the last two days we've gotten about 5 inches of rain, if not more. So, the trail was a mess. Typically, it's the cool sound of leaves rustling, branches snapping and dry sneakers sticking to dry rocks that you hear. Today, it was more like glip, glop, splosh, splish, splash under your feet. Instead of a place for walking, the trail served more as a catalyst for water shed. In some places, I wasn't sure if we were walking up a stream or if it really was the trail. At one point, the trail was so muddy and filled with puddles I was actually walking in a straddle position trying to avoid getting my feet wet. We would jump from one side of the trail to the other trying not to sink in mud holes. It felt like a lot of movement and little progress for a while. But, eventually, we made it to the last leg.

You can always tell when you are close to the summit of the a mountain. The vegetation changes. Trees become more like tall shrubs, the ground turns from all dirt and roots to some dirt, roots and lots of rock faces. There are always seems to be a killer leg right before the summit too. I swear those are the steepest and most challenging sections every time.


At the top, there is a small, run-down building. It once was a ranger station. There is also a huge fire tower. At the top of the mountain, you cannot see any views unless you climb the fire tower. It's really tall and not closed in at all. I was completely freaked out climbing up the stairs. I only went about half way up-just enough to see a good view. Eric, of course, went to the top of the tower-he said from up there you can see a 360 degree view of our entire area. He could even see a part of Lake Memphormagog which is on the Canadian border. Maybe next time I'll have enough guts to go all the way...

It took us about 3 and 1/2 hours from the car to the summit and back. It was a great way to get outside and enjoy the day as a family. Now, it's down to the pond for a good swim and cool down!

2 comments:

Tara Whalen said...

Holly- all your hiking stories are wearing me out! =) How do you find the energy?

stace41971 said...

Sounds like you guys had fun :-)