What Am I Eating?
When I was grocery shopping the other day, I was looking at the ingredients list on the Friehoffer's whole wheat bread that I always buy. The second or third ingredient is partially hydrogenated soybean oil. After reading this, I decided I would buy a new type of whole wheat bread but every brand I went to had this ingredient. Finally, I found one but it really took some searching and you have to be willing to pay a little more for your product. I think I ended up with Arnolds but it could be Pepperidge Farms.When you really start looking at the ingredients of your food, it's pretty awful. Most of it, you can't even pronounce, let alone know what it is. So added to my list of resolutions is:-Eat very little or no partially hydrogenated oils. It's a terrible additive and could be a carcinogen.This is harder than it seems. When I really started looking, this stuff is in everything. It was even in my favorite kind of yogurt. Look at the ingredients lists on your food packages and you will see. Oh, and stay away from an ingredient called TBHQ. This is a type of acid and will actually kill you if you ingest just a teaspoon full at once. The FDA actually allows companies to spray a tiny bit on food for added "freshness". You'll find it in a lot of your packaged snack crackers, like cheez-its.As I mentioned before, I'm not usually one for resolutions, but since I made the decision to make a few this year, I just keep coming up with more. Eating fewer toxins and being more aware of the food my family ingests is definitely high on the list. If I get too many more, I'll have to put the kibosh on some others. I can only work on so many things at once! I guess I'll have to replace exercise!
3 comments:
Hey Holly!
This looks really good! My mom told me you were up and running.
This will probably sound absurd, but have you thought of trying to make bread? It's really not hard at all. Really. I promise. I have this recipe that I love. The dough sits in the fridge for 2-24 hours, so you could get it started one day after work and pop it in the oven the next day. It would be like 15 minutes of work each day. And it makes 2 loaves...which lasts me 2 weeks..though we aren't really sandwich eaters around here.
Anyway, I'm with you on avoiding poison!
Have a good one!
Robyn
You know, over the summer, I had started making my own bread and it was a lot of fun-I loved it. Then, I lost momentum. But, you're right, that's really what I should do.
Is your recipe a whole wheat recipe? If it is, I'd love it and I'll definitely try it.
This blogging stuff is a lot of fun! I check out yours most eveyday and I love it. It always makes me smile!
Vicki tells me there is a way to check out who has been to your blog. Can you tell me how to do this?
Thanks! Holly
Sure thing, Holly. You know, I will email that recipe to my mom and ask her to forward it to you. It might be a bit much for a comment...
I use StatCounter.com to see how many readers and where they are and such. It's not super specific...it doesn't say: Vicki Dill read today! It says something like: someone with internet connection through Bennington, VT read. But, you can sort of figure things out from that. It's a free service, by the way.
Post a Comment