I sometimes describe Aiden as being a bit authoritative. I attribute it to his age and the fact that he is trying to assert his independence by having control over whatever he possibly can, but this...this is getting ridiculous...
You have never met a backseat driver until you drive with my son in the car. The kid is the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) backseat driver in the Universe. He pretty much barks direction the entire time we drive together. I'm not sure he does the same thing to Eric, the power struggle my only be with me, and I can't help but think its cute and funny...but it's also highly annoying. Trying to satisfy a toddler backseat driver is next to impossible.
Aiden's favorite demand is either "Mommy, slow down" or "Mommy, go faster". I try explaining that I'm going the speed limit, but that, so far, is a concept that he doesn't seem to grasp. I'm either going too fast or too slow and he will literally holler at me until he can see that I am doing what he asks. When we come to a stop sign he enjoys telling me which way I should turn, he has even gotten infuriated when I didn't turn in the direction that he requested me to, despite me trying to explain that turning that way would not get us where we needed to go. He tells me to turn up the radio, turn down the radio and even to change the song. Tonight, on the way home, my right hand was resting on the shifter and he directed me to move my hand back to the stirring wheel because I was driving. "Mommy, move your hand...stopping playing with that...you're driving."
I've stopped trying to explain myself to the little man. Now I just say, "Okay Aiden." and this seems to keep him more content with my driving abilities. Geez! And I thought his father was bad!
I've stopped trying to explain myself to the little man. Now I just say, "Okay Aiden." and this seems to keep him more content with my driving abilities. Geez! And I thought his father was bad!
3 comments:
LOL...well...count yourself lucky (for the time being anyway...I had a dream :-P ), I had 2 in my back seat (this came to a head before lyli could talk, she would just point and grunt) demanding I turn this way..or that way...usually pointing in both directions so no matter what I did I was wrong. Now they've taken over my radio ( I have sirius satellite in my car, which has a waring beep that a song is on a certian channel..they've compiled their favorites)...so now every time the thing beeps i hear "Mom...what song is it...MOM change it!! M O M...Chaaaaange it!". oy.
Andrew right now tries to control the driving of his stroller. At least, who it driving it. If the three of us are out together and Andrew noticed that I am pushing he will whine, "Daddy's turn! Daddy's turn!" That is as far as we have gotten. Though I expect a little more trouble down the road. He now knows where the Blockbuster is and shouts "DDD!! DDD!!" when we pass it. I can imagine that soon it won't just be a cheer for good entertainment, but a demand to go inside.
Toddlers are too funny! I love being a mom!
Post a Comment