I've been back to work now for 2 weeks since my week long vacation in July. Both of those weeks, I had one day off...first Monday, then Friday. This is the first week in three whole weeks, I will work a 5 day week. Agh....
I'm completely "back in the groove" at work...so working a full week isn't really that stressful...what I find to be more nagging is that I'm not at home.
While on vacation, I thoroughly enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom. My house was spotless, I cooked great dinners which were well thought out, I baked, I spent lots of time with Aiden, I enjoyed mid-day outside time, the lawn got mowed...it was wonderful! Now that I'm back to work, I see things going to pot. I can't keep up with the house. I literally turn on the stove and start heating up pans to cook when I walk through the door. Time with Aiden is back to about three hours per day...and darn it....I'm going to have buy bread at the grocery store again because I don't have time to bake fresh loaves.
I truly refuse to give into prepackaged convenience foods. I will not feed my family Hungary Man dinners just save myself some time. But, it's becoming very apparent just how difficult it is to balance a full time job with being a full time mother and wife. I guess this is why things like the microwave were invented. For that, I'm grateful...but I also feel slightly sad for our society. I often wonder if the fact that so many women carry full time work with full time family is the reason for some of our national problems, such as, obesity and really "interesting" youth.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for women's liberation...but sometimes I wonder if we screwed ourselves. Now, not only are we expected to perform at our highest at our jobs, but we often come home and are expected to carry out all household/child rearing duties as well.
Truth be told, I probably wouldn't be able to be a full time stay-at-home mom but I really like idea of it! Good thing I only work two days next week!
I truly refuse to give into prepackaged convenience foods. I will not feed my family Hungary Man dinners just save myself some time. But, it's becoming very apparent just how difficult it is to balance a full time job with being a full time mother and wife. I guess this is why things like the microwave were invented. For that, I'm grateful...but I also feel slightly sad for our society. I often wonder if the fact that so many women carry full time work with full time family is the reason for some of our national problems, such as, obesity and really "interesting" youth.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for women's liberation...but sometimes I wonder if we screwed ourselves. Now, not only are we expected to perform at our highest at our jobs, but we often come home and are expected to carry out all household/child rearing duties as well.
Truth be told, I probably wouldn't be able to be a full time stay-at-home mom but I really like idea of it! Good thing I only work two days next week!
1 comment:
The grass is always greener...:-) Most of the time I like being a stay at home mom...but there is something to be said for getting out amongst your peers and having adult interaction and feeling like you make a difference. Not saying that SAHM's don't make a difference, but our society looks down on women who choose to stay at home..nothing like telling someone you're a stay at home mom and have them give you "the look"...I refer to myself as a Domestic Goddess now..the quizzical "what is she talking about" look is better :P.
I think you're right..women's lib screwed us..we are not liberated..we are even more chained to the roles that are expected of us..now we are not only the bread maker..but the bread winners..its hard..and I'm completely in awe of those of you that can juggle it all and still stay sane...You deserve a trophy or a medal or something.
Post a Comment