Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blueberries

It's harvest time!

Blueberries are coming out our ears on the our land. About 1/2 of the 55 acres we own are covered in wild blueberry bushes. Although wild blueberries are not very large, like the domesticated type you buy at the store, if you have the patience to pick, it's well worth it.

I picked blueberries with Aiden and Eric's parents yesterday for 8 hours. I ended up with close to two gallons of berries and Eric's parents probably picked another gallon. There are still tons of bushes we haven't even touched yet. It was raining this morning, but should clear this afternoon, so I'm hoping to get out there and pick some more today.

I was so thrilled to get fresh berries in the freezer, but I couldn't wait to bake something with them either. So last night, at about 7:30, after Aiden had gone to bed, I decided to wipe up a pie. The crust came out perfect in consistency. The only thing I need to work on is edging around the pie plate. I can't ever get it to look quite how I want. I don't yet understand the concept of tucking it under the bottom crust and pinching it around the sides.

This morning we brought the pie to our neighbors house and shared it with them for breakfast.

Now, we've got fresh strawberries, apples from last year's crop and blueberries in the freezer! Yay!

1 comment:

stace41971 said...

Eight hours of blueberry picking?!?!?!? I can't help thinking that in Dante's Inferno there is some level of hell dedicated to blueberry picking...Don't get me wrong..I love blueberries..but I hate picking them. I can manage about a 1/2 hour before I start hallucinating. *shudder*

That pie looks awesome though! I've got to pick some berries and make some jam..my kids loooovee blueberry jam.